Cities & Towns/ Local Government
Clothing Collection Bins: An Equitable Regulatory Response
This is a Municipality Outreach Document that was created by the SMART Clothing Collection Bin Committee to help educate Cities and Towns about Clothing Collection bins.
- Click here for the Municipality Outreach Document
Textile Recycling Checklist for Communities
These SMART recommendations and suggestions can help governments educate the public, increase textile recycling and possibly generate revenue.
- Click here for the Textile Recycling Checklist
Bin Position Paper, Draft Ordinance & Collection Bin Code of Conduct
SMART has written a "position paper" and draft legislative language to help elected officials considering possible measures for regulating collection bins and to ensure they are appropriate for their own communities. The position paper outlines the important role that clothing recycling plays in helping local communities achieve key economic, environmental, and philanthropic objectives and describes the features of a legislative measure that will both protect the interests of the community and its people while preserving the industry's vital contributions. The template ordinance, meanwhile, serves as a concrete example of such a measure and requires companies placing clothing collection bins to clearly state on its collection bins that it is a for-profit company. The draft ordinance also requires companies to meet all local zoning and permitting requirements, to have permission before placing a bin, to clearly provide contact information on the collection bins, to maintain the bins on a regular schedule, and to respond in a timely manner should be a complaint be received about a particular collection bin.
- Click here for the Collection Bin Position Paper
- Click here for the Draft Ordinance
- Click here for the Collection Bin Code of Conduct
- Kentucky Attorney General Opinion on Charitable Bins Best Practices
SMART Infographic Banners
SMART has developed three (3) high resolution infographic banners that can be used to educate the public and your staff on Textile Recycling.
Click the title below to download the infographic banner.
- "Donate, Recycle, Don't Throw Away"
- "The Secret Life of Donated Textiles"
- "Textile Recycling and Greenhouse Gasses"
"Collecting Textiles: Make It Work for Your Community" Presentation
SMART has developed a presentation for cities, towns and local government to use for meetings, speaking engagements and tradeshows.
- Click here to download the presentation.
SMART Videos and Radio PSA's
SMART offers a variety of short videos and radio PSA’s that can be used sent to local TV and Radio Stations in order to communicate the importance of textile recycling. These PSA's can also be used for educational purposes at meetings and events.
- Click here to access the SMART Videos and Radio PSA's
The SMART media kit offers an overview of SMART and the initiatives of the association.
- Click here to download the SMART Media Kit
Looking for information for your schools?
- Click here to access SMART's "Wear It? Recycle It" Educational Materials for Elementary Schools.