Welcome to SMART!
The Association of Wiping Materials, Used Clothing
and Fiber Industries Since 1932
As an international trade association, SMART strengthens the economic opportunities of our diverse membership by promoting the interdependence of our industry segments and providing a common forum for networking, education and trade. More about us
- 6/2/2014 — First-ever Joint Meeting on International Used Clothing Industry Held in Miami: Three leading international recycling organizations gathered in Miami, Florida for the first-ever international conference on the used clothing recycling industry. Nearly 100 members of the Secondary Materials and Recycled Textiles Association (SMART), the Bureau of International Recycling’s Textiles Division (BIR), and the Council for Textile Recycling (CTR) held the first International Textile Recycling Summit (ITRS) on Monday, June 2, 2014, at the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami. Conference attendees discussed industry trends, concerns, and emerging markets. Click here for the full press release.
- 5/20/2014 — SMART Association’s Elementary Education Program Connects with Students and Teachers: An academic program developed by the Secondary Materials and Recycled Textiles Association (SMART) is yielding positive results among the elementary school teachers who utilized its no-cost lesson plans. The lesson plans focus on the benefits of recycling used clothing, while meeting standardized educational practices. As the international trade association of the for-profit used clothing recycling industry, SMART’s goal is to educate the public about the benefits of recycling all used clothing and household textiles. Click here for the full press release.
- 2/20/14 — For the first time, the Bureau of International Recycling’s (BIR) Textiles Division, the Secondary Materials and Recycled Textiles Association (SMART), and the Council for Textile Recycling (CTR) will co-organize an International Textile Recycling Summit on Monday, June 2, 2014 in conjunction with the Bureau of International Recycling‘s World Recycling Convention at the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami, Florida.
The International Textile Recycling Summit (ITRS) is the first-ever event where all of the major stakeholders in the international textile recycling industry will gather to discuss industry trends, concerns, and emerging markets. The tentative agenda includes educational programs from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm followed by a networking reception. All members of BIR, SMART and CTR are invited to attend this program. Click here for the full press release.
- 2/1/2014 — SMART's Free Lesson Plans for Students
The Secondary Materials and Recycled Textiles Association (SMART) has announced the launch of its Recycling Rangers program for elementary school teachers. The goal of this year's educational program is to heighten student, teacher and family awareness of clothing and textile recycling by engaging more than 2,500 teachers in grades K–5 in its Recycling Rangers program. In addition to free lesson plans for their classrooms, teachers are also encouraged to promote recycling by organizing textile recycling drives at their schools. Click here for the full article.
- 1/20/2014 — Bins Found in Elizabethtown Raise Questions
Over the past year, a number of large white, green or blue bins have taken up residence in Elizabethtown parking lots. A textile recycling bin located in the former E.W. James' parking lot in Elizabethtown is operated by Ohio Mills and benefits Special Olympics Kentucky. Some are part of an estimated $1 billion textile recycling industry, according to Secondary Materials and Recycled Textiles. In some cases, proceeds from the donated items benefit charities but that's not always the situation. Click here for the full article.